Saturday, July 23, 2011

Mini Book Review: Outliers

Outliers: The Story of Success  by Malcolm Gladwell

With examples of the Beatles, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, the author weaves a great story explaining how right place right time, focus to the exclusion of life, and lots of practice is behind the success. It didn't just happen.

An inspiring read allowed me to look back at my own life. Right place right time allowed me to get into data processing in the mid 60s. Loved programming and with lots of hard work, it was a great 35 year ride to retirement.

Another personal look back was in high school when I took up the trumpet in the school band. Didn't enjoy it and my lack of focus with little practice produced the expected results. Fortunately for all, I dropped the instrument and band.

After reading the book, I look at individual success very differently. There may be some opportunities, but the final result is individual focus and lots of hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. Regardless, comments are appreciated. Sometimes there may be a response from Wandrin Lloyd. Sometimes not. Regardless. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. Leave a comment or send WandrinLloyd an email. Note: Ads disguised as comments will be deleted.